Design and technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. We believe that children should learn to produce practical solutions to real problems and in so doing they will not only develop their technical understanding and making skills but they will also learn about design methods and investigate their environment and the materials around them.
Using creativity and imagination, pupils will design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they will develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world.
Therefore at Langshott Primary School we aim to:
- engage the interests of all children and help sustain their motivation and enjoyment of learning
- maintain and develop the confidence and ability of all children to solve technological problems
- help develop the social skills necessary to work as a member of a team, as well as the ability to work independently when the situation demands
- stimulate curiosity, imagination and creativity
- promote the ability to communicate ideas and information through a variety of media
- develop an appreciation of the importance of quality
- provide the opportunity to design for other people, having first considered their needs
- provide the opportunity for all pupils to begin to learn the basic skills of cooking
- Each Key Stage has the opportunity to work with food, textiles, structures and mechanisms.
The national curriculum for design and technology aims to ensure that all pupils:
Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users.
Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.